During the time of the project the climate debate was rising and the usage of private car for travels and primarily daily commutes was high. One way to tackle the climate change is to convert private car users to public transport users. By decreasing the usage of cars we decrease pollution, as one way to tackle environmental issues.
My team early on identified that we needed to work on finding users incitement’s to driving private vs using public transport.
To gather users and get a quantitative view of the current state we decided to send a survey to both public transport users, as well as private car users.
Based on the surveys we gathered two focus groups, one for public transport users and one for private car users. During the focus groups we performed group interviews and exercises to make the participants describe their ideas about travel. Pros and cons (pains and gains) were discussed about each kind of transportation type. Some of the users in each group signed up for further deep interviews and usability testing.
With the collected data from the focus group me and the team defined User Journeys for some of our key personas. The journeys visualized high and lows during a trip, pin pointed the pains and gains.
During this phase we realized that we are not just designing a new app for transportation, we are designing a service and a eco system to support it.
While I and parts of the team was focusing on creating wireframes, one team member started to define visual design. During the process we aligned and discussed what wireframe-components to create visual design for. To keep the design system agile and lean we followed the Atomic Design method, so that we could easily replace parts of the visual design.
Users from the focus group was requested to join for prototype testing. Lots of users where excited and wanted to join for testing. We tested 1 on 1 while we streamed the test to the rest of the team, who gathered in another room to create notes of good and bad things in the prototype. After the tests and a couple of iterations we assambeled the final design concept and presenented to our stakeholder.
This was a really interesting design concept project where I learnt a lot as a Lead UX. The team was fairly large (6 designers) so I worked a lot with aligning and coordinating design tasks.
Our user base was large, as the focus groups consisted of 20 users, and our tests of 10 users, I learnt that time tends to quickly go away, so use it wisely.